Fulldome Festival Brno 2017 Ends! And it already knows its winners! Who has received one of three fortune telling glass balls which look into the future of the fulldome world?
Between June 7 and June 9, 2017, the Brno Observatory and Planetarium hosted exactly 123 planetarians from all over the world. The farthest away ones came from Japan and Brazil. They had to sit in the dome of the Brno planetarium in total 16 hours and 41 minutes and see as many as 41 fulldome films, of which some were the premieres, some work in progress and some out of competition. The festival participants also visited one of the world Igniss Brunensis firework festival shows, saw the centre of the city of Brno and talked to many producers of fulldome shows and digital planetariums.
They also learnt what the people of beautiful South Moravia used to wear not long ago. They admired the Moravian folk costumes, of which both male and female decorative patterns show people’s fearlessness and ability to exaggerate. They are the symbols of still kept or restored folk traditions, habits and festivals. The same as the creators of the shows for digital planetariums and of course the operators of such planetariums.
So, who has received the awards of the Fulldome Festival Brno 2017 supported by the International Planetarium Society?
The Audience Award: The Secrets of Gravity – in the footsteps of Albert Einstein
A production of Dr. Peter Popp, Softmachine Immersive Productions GmbH
The festival visitors handed in 1,881 voting cards, on which they gave each show from 0 to 5 points. The winner of this award received the average number of points 4.31. Another five shows that received the highest number of points are: The Secrets of Gravity – in the footsteps of Albert Einstein; Hello Earth; The Planets – A Journey Through The Solar System; We are stars; Faster Than Light! the Dream of Interstellar Flight.
The Best Movie Award: Hello Earth
A production of Copernicus Science Centre, Heavens of Copernicus Planetarium
The winner of this award was chosen, to their best knowledge and belief, by the international jury composed of Petr Horálek, ESO Photo Ambassador, Marc Moutin from Cite de La Space, the organizer of the IPS Conference in 2018, and Ryan Wyatt from the California Academy of Sciences.
The Brno Observatory and Planetarium Director’s Award: Faster than Light! The Dream of Interstellar Flight
A co-production of Spitz Creative Media, Mirage3D and Thomas Lucas Productions, Inc.
It is the fulldome projection that is unique about the format of fulldome shows. The show that won this award takes full advantage of a fulldome format and its theme promises a great response from the Brno Observatory and Planetarium visitors. The Brno Observatory and Planetarium Director’s Award is connected with a financial reward in the form of a one year license. The show Faster than Light will be introduced to the viewers in Brno in autumn this year.
Fulldome Festival Brno 2017 Numbers
- 121 strawberry dumplings eaten.
- 14 kilograms of rise served.
- 171 bottles of white wine drunk.
- 50 pieces of “beer tiramisu” tasted.
- 17 newsletters to 929 subscribers sent before the festival.
- 41 fulldome films, of which the shortest one was just 240 seconds and the longest one 55 minutes, projected.
- The last film finished shortly before the festival was delivered by its producer on June 1.
- The last trailer was prepared for projection just 6 hours before the festival opening ceremony.
- The festival shows take up in total 9.7 TB of the Brno planetarium disk space.
- The temperature during the festival varied between 9.7 °C (Thursday at 00:10 AM) and 28,3 °C (Friday at 2.35 PM).
- 130,000 people, including the festival participants, saw the firework show on Wednesday, in which 3,200 kilograms of explosives were launched.
Is that all? Of course, not. The fulldome world is still growing and developing. So, you, the producers, if you have a show that has not been presented at our fulldome festival yet and was or will be made between January 1, 2017.